Alderwood Water & Wastewater District

Skip navigation and go to content

Your Account

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a series of frequently asked questions (and answers) related to billing and accounts. If you have a billing-related question that is not listed below, please contact us for assistance.
If you have questions about your water source, how we bill and the services we provide you can refer to our Customer Guide to the right.  If after reading this guide you have additional questions, you can reach a customer service representative at 425-787-0220.
View all
What is the service charge that appears on my first bill?
Initial bills include a one-time Service Charge of $15.00 for setting up a new account or for an account name change when there is a change in occupancy.
Why do I get billed for sewer charges from both Alderwood Water & Wastewater District and King County?

Sewer service charges billed from the Alderwood Water & Wastewater District (AWWD) pay for the treatment and disposal of the sewage, maintenance of the existing sewer system which includes transmission lines and treatment facilities and ensures that future infrastructure needs are met as our district grows.  While we do have our own treatment plant facility located at Picnic Point, only about 25% of all AWWD sewage can be gravity fed to this facility.  Due to topography, the majority of AWWD’s sewage is gravity fed into King County for treatment at its facilities.  King County in turn charges AWWD monthly for this treatment and disposal of sewage.


For customers whose properties were connected to the sanitary sewer system on or after February 1, 1990 and whose sewage is treated by King County are billed directly from King County for a Sewer Treatment Capacity Charge.  This charge is in addition to the sewer service charge from AWWD.  As with AWWD, King County protects public health and the environment.  In an effort to do this, King County’s treatment system must keep pace with growth which means building more transmissions lines, pump stations and treatment plants.  The capacity charge distributes the costs for expanding infrastructure to customers with the newest sewer connections. 


For more information or if you have questions about your King County sewer capacity charge, please visit their website at
How often do you bill?
Residential and Non-Residential customers are billed every two months.
Is my meter actually read or is it estimated?
Using a computerized hand held device, meter readings are entered directly into this device. It is not possible to estimate meter readings since the meter readers do not have readings from the previous month. However, due to possible bad weather in the winter or inaccessibility to the meter, the Billing department may find the need to estimate readings during a billing cycle.
I won't need water and sewer services for an extended period. Can I temporarily suspend my water and sewer service?

The District allows customers to temporarily suspend the minimum monthly charges for water and sewer service, if requested by a customer in advance of an absence(irrigation meters and sewer only accounts are not eligible). Generally, this is cost effective only if you will be away from the property longer than one month.

At your request, the District will lock off your water meter, which will suspend the minimum charges for water/sewer service. There is a $25.00 voluntary lock fee which will be added to the account when the meter is locked. When service is needed again, a minimum of a 3-business day advanced notice is required to have the meter unlocked for your return. An unlock meter fee of $25.00 and a $15.00 account set-up fee will be added to the account, when service is restored.

Please contact the Billing department at (425) 787-0220 to speak to a customer service representative to schedule your meter to be locked or unlocked. Request to suspend service must be done in advance of the absence and will not be applied retroactively to an account.

Can my water/sewer bill have a due date to coincide with my paydays?
The water/sewer billings are due 21 days from the billing date. The billing date is determined by the date the water meters are read. The district is broken down into eight different “controls” or sections. Each week one control gets read, resulting in a two month period to cover all eight controls. Your water meter will be read approximately the same date, every other month, which would make it difficult for us to bill you according to your pay dates.
Can I make payment arrangements for my water/sewer bill?
Yes. Customers that are having financial difficulty or receive a large water bill resulting from a water leak may establish payment arrangements with the District. Terms are made on a case-by-case basis and must be in writing, agreed to by both parties and signed by the customer. Please call our Billing department at (425)787-0220 to speak to a customer representative.
Can I use a credit card , debit card or e-check for payment?
Yes, you can make a payment online or by phone with a credit card, debit card, or electronic check; these payments are processed by Paymentus Corporation which is a third party automated payment service. To make a payment online select "Pay Your Bill Online" from our home page or call 866-899-1313 to make a payment by phone. Visa, Mastercard, Discover & e-checks are accepted. 
Why is my water off?
Although service interruptions are rare, they can be caused by water main breaks, nonpayment of bills and during extended periods of sub-freezing temperatures, frozen pipes or frozen water meters. Please call us at (425) 787-0220 to talk to a customer service representative if you are without water. Our after hours emergency phone number is (425) 787-0250.
How much notice do you need to set up water service?
If water service needs to be restored, please allow 2-3 business days for a water meter to be unlocked. If it is a change in occupancy please see Starting/Stopping Service for further details.
Why is my bill so high?

Leaks are often the culprit and a toilet leak is a common type. A single running toilet can quietly waste hundreds of gallons in a single day. Fortunately, repairing toilet leaks is usually easy and inexpensive.

Checking for leaks elsewhere in your plumbing system might reveal other sources of water loss (see How to Detect Leaks). In many cases, high bills are a result of increased water usage. Changes in outdoor usage, such as watering a new lawn/garden or using a new sprinkler system, are usually responsible for large increases. Reading your meter before and after watering can help you determine how much water you are using.

Our tips for conserving water can help you to water wisely and reduce future bills. Although we read our meters with a high degree of accuracy, sometime mistakes are made. If you suspect a misread meter, please call our Billing department at (425) 787-0220 and we will gladly check the reading and adjust your billing if necessary.

Why is my water and sewer bill nearly the same amount as the larger family who live next door?
The primary components of an Alderwood Water & Wastewater District’s residential bill are the sewer access charge and water base charge. These are the minimum charges associated with having the water and sewer service available, despite the amount, if any, of water a household uses.

Single family residential homes are charged a single flat rate for sewer. The flat fee structure makes family budgeting more consistent and avoids seasonal ups and downs. It also avoids charging households sewage fees on water that does not get treated, such as that used outdoors watering plants.

Water service is charged a flat meter fee based on the size of the water meter serving your home plus a per 100 cubic feet (approximately 748 gallon) consumption charge.
Do you offer automatic payments?

Yes, you can sign up for Autopay with our online payment provider, Paymentus Corporation. Please visit "Pay Your Bill Online" on our homepage. Once you have registered for an account you can easily set up Autopay.

More Questions?